When Kelly Ramsey and I proposed For The Seventh Generation to the Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association Foundation in 2005, we dreamed big dreams for this organization.
In 2013, those dreams started coming true in a big way:
Thanks to you, over 500 metro Detroit-area foster children, foster families, and teens aging out of the foster care system received life-changing goods and services last year!
Here are some details:
- Seventy-seven foster children, teens, and families picked up essential items like clothing and furniture at our Help Closet.
- Seventy-five youngsters picked out presents, had presents picked out for them, and enjoyed snacks, games and holiday-themed festivities at our 2013 Holiday Bazaar.
- With the help of the Rotary Clubs of Detroit and Grosse Point, 150 children and teens in foster care received brand new winter coats through Operation Warm.
- More than fifty foster children who are permanent wards of the court received preliminary orthodontic care at the University of Detroit Mercy’s School of Dentistry.
- Four children were served by the Play It Forward music program, which is funded to provide instruments and lessons to a total of twelve foster youth.
- The remainder of the foster children, teens, and families received a range of items and services including orthodontic care, Prom dresses and related services, and home-improvement services like roof repairs.
What made all of this possible? You did – by donating goods, donating your time and services, contributing financially, or even by “just” spreading the word on Facebook to let your friends know about the needs of our area’s foster children.
There are too many of you to thank in a short blog post, but we do want to single out Charity Motors, The Park West Foundation, and GEM Asset Management for being very generous and ongoing sponsors of our yearly In Seventh Heaven event.
We also want to thank Metro Detroit Etsy, AMP FM Radio 98.7, and our local and national Ronald McDonald House Charities for providing hand-made craft items, more than 150 Prom dresses and grants of over $9,000 to purchase new beds and cribs for more than fifty babies and children in foster care.
While 2013 was a banner year for us, it is also just the beginning. We have ambitious goals for 2014, starting with this year’s In Seventh Heaven on April 12. Follow us on Facebook for details as they happen, and please consider buying tickets, becoming a sponsor, or making a financial contribution to support us in serving even more foster children, families, and young people aging out of the foster care system.
Every foster child and teen you help makes a difference, and not “just” in the life of that child; the effects are felt by that child’s eventual children and grandchildren … down through the seventh generation. On behalf of the DMBAF and all of us here at FTSG, thank you from the depths of our hearts for making things brighter for today’s foster children and for your impact on our community’s future.
Yours In Service,
P.S.: If you’d like to join Hour Detroit and Meijer as sponsors of this year’s In Seventh Heaven, please contact me right away at (313) 961-6120 ext. 206 or by email at email@example.com